At the monthly NCUPS membership meetings a still photography mini-competition is held. Video minicomps are held quarterly. Members bring in a digital image/video on the subject of the month, the submitted media is judged by the audience and a check is awarded to the 1st place winner. All images must have been taken by a NCUPS member underwater. Photographs/Images entered may not have won anything whatsoever anywhere. The minicomp may be canceled or postponed if the featured presentation runs long, at the discretion of the board.
Straight Out of the Camera
Bring in your best picture that has never had any post-processing done of any kind.
1st Jon Anderson 2nd Robert Yee 3rd Dan Hess
They say the eyes are the window to the sole. Show us if that’s true!
1st Paul Rosenblum
2nd Dan Hess
3rd Brad Brown
Smooth or rough, regular or not. Show us an interesting texture.
This month, play around with perspective Whether you have something close intentionally out of focus to draw attention to something in the background, or having something close up in focus but making sure something distinguishable in the background can still be seen, have fun with this!
Rule of Thirds
Show us your best photo showing the rule of thirds in action.
It's so easy to get caught up taking pictures of individual animals or plants or simple scenes. This month, bring in your best wide-angle, seascape photo.
Burst of light
From sunbursts to sunbeams cutting through the water, the sun can be a tremendous tool in your composition arsenal. Show us your favorite photo impacted by the sun.
Member Night/Mini Portfolio
You pick the theme. Bring in 3 pictures on that theme. Tell a story about the pictures if you like. Best mini-portfolio wins. (Note that this month isn't anonymous entry.)
Back to school!
Students are back in class, but it seems like fish never leave their schools. Show us your best photo of a school of fish!
I see a little silhouetto
Sometimes the use of a shadow or silhouette in a photo can be just as powerful as showing the object creating it. This month, show off your best silhouette.
Dive into the world of super macro photography this month. Bring your best extreme close up photo!
Minicomp of the Year!
Time to look back on the winners of the 2018 minicomps!
NCUPS Minicomp Rules
The minicomp is intended to be a fun competition that encourages all NCUPS members to participate and have their work judged at the pleasure of the audience.
*Only paid-up NCUPS members may enter the monthly contest and must be present to enter their image and win
* All images must have been taken by a NCUPS member underwater and photographs/images entered may not have won anything whatsoever anywhere.
- Entries must be shot underwater by the entrant except when the category is for over/under or creative.
- Any image may be manipulated electronically or in the darkroom to improve its photographic qualities.
- Moving and adding photographic elements is not allowed except when the category is creative.
- File should be full resolution, full quality, JPEG submitted on a Windows-readable thumb drive (Fat32 or NTFS). HFS+ formatted thumb drives cannot be read by the club's Windows PC. Most thumb drives are formatted FAT32 by the manufacturer and are therefore Mac and Windows compatible.
-When exporting photo, please include metadata.
-File Naming: Files can be named whatever you like. Since file names are displayed in Lightroom at the meeting, in the interest of secret balloting, please do not put your name in the filename. - It will be helpful if you put your name in the Creator field of the metadata. Most cameras can be setup to do this automatically, or can be added later with Lightroom or other software (this is a good principle in general for your own work).
Submission, Voting, Points and Ties :
- Only one photo per entrant per month. - Entrants must log their entry on an entrant list at the time of submission. - Submissions are allowed before the meeting and during the break.
Voting: - Will be done at the end of the meeting and counted by 2 official counters and records kept and tallied throughout the year. - Anyone in the room may vote.
Point Distribution: - The more you enter, the more points you will accumulate throughout the year.
- First place: 9 points.
- Second place: 5 points.
- Third place: 3 points.
- Entering: 1 point.
-In the event of a tie for first place: - each tying entry shall receive first place points.
- If there are two entries tied for first place, only second place will be awarded and no third place shall be awarded.
- If there are three or more entries tied for first place, neither second nor third place shall be awarded.
- In the event of a tie for second place: - each tying entry shall receive second place points. - no third place shall be awarded.