Monthly Minicomp Themes for 2019
January: Whatever Floats Your Boat
In this free-for-all, feel free to hit us with your best shot.
February: Read My Lips
What do you think the lips in your image this month are about to say?
March: Leading Lines
Take us to your .... leader in this exploration of how you can use lines to platy with depth and guide the viewer's eyes to what you want them to focus on in your picture.
April: Threatened Species
It's hard to care about something you've never seen, but pictures make things real and harder to ignore. What photos of threatened species do you have?
May: Super Shrimp
The shrimp's a super shrimp/The kind of shrimp you read about/In the new wave magazines./That shrimp is pretty curly/The shrimp's a super shrimp/I'd really like to taste it/Every time we eat.
June: Whale Tales
Whales are some of nature's most magnificent creatures. Whether it was sounding or just hitting the surface of the water, show us your best whale tails!
Bonus points if the jellyfish is red, white, or blue!
August: (Tasteful) Nudis
What diver wouldn't want to receive a nudi(branch) picture?
September: Out of Your Element
Wait, why is THAT here?? This month, bring a picture of something that should NOT have been where you were diving - but it was!
October: Boop the Snoot
This month, instead of giving a sea creature a little love tap on the nose, play with your lighting and isolate the flash on your subject using a snoot or try out snoot like effects in post.
November: Christmas Tree Worms
Can you find a red or green Christmas Tree Worm to start the holidays?
December: Minicomp of the Year!
Time to look back on the winners of the 2019 minicomps!
NCUPS Minicomp Rules
The minicomp is intended to be a fun competition that encourages all NCUPS members to participate and have their work judged at the pleasure of the audience.
*Only paid-up NCUPS members may enter the monthly contest and must be present to enter their image and win
* All images must have been taken by a NCUPS member underwater and photographs/images entered may not have won anything whatsoever anywhere.
- Entries must be shot underwater by the entrant except when the category is for over/under or creative.
- Any image may be manipulated electronically or in the darkroom to improve its photographic qualities.
- Moving and adding photographic elements is not allowed except when the category is creative.
- File should be full resolution, full quality, JPEG submitted on a Windows-readable thumb drive (Fat32 or NTFS). HFS+ formatted thumb drives cannot be read by the club's Windows PC. Most thumb drives are formatted FAT32 by the manufacturer and are therefore Mac and Windows compatible.
-When exporting photo, please include metadata.
-File Naming: Files can be named whatever you like. Since file names are displayed in Lightroom at the meeting, in the interest of secret balloting, please do not put your name in the filename. - It will be helpful if you put your name in the Creator field of the metadata. Most cameras can be setup to do this automatically, or can be added later with Lightroom or other software (this is a good principle in general for your own work).
Submission, Voting, Points and Ties :
- Only one photo per entrant per month. - Entrants must log their entry on an entrant list at the time of submission. - Submissions are allowed before the meeting and during the break.
Voting: - Will be done at the end of the meeting and counted by 2 official counters and records kept and tallied throughout the year. - Anyone in the room may vote.
Point Distribution: - The more you enter, the more points you will accumulate throughout the year.
First place: 9 points.
Second place: 5 points.
Third place: 3 points.
Entering: 1 point.
-In the event of a tie for first place: - each tying entry shall receive first place points.
- If there are two entries tied for first place, only second place will be awarded and no third place shall be awarded.
- If there are three or more entries tied for first place, neither second nor third place shall be awarded.
- In the event of a tie for second place: - each tying entry shall receive second place points. - no third place shall be awarded.